Last week was rough. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and you would have thought my world ended. I know, I know, it's not but I'm not going to lie-- it felt like it. I didn't have any of the "red flags" so to speak. I wasn't over weight prepregnancy, diabetes does not run in my family, I have not had a stillbirth, I have not had a baby over 9 lbs, and I have exercised and eaten well this pregnancy (only gained 8 pounds so far at 29 Wks). The only thing I did have was my age. I'm over 25. So you can imagine mine (and Dr Irwin's) surprise when I failed the one hour and then failed the three hour also. My results were 65 fasting (needed to be between 60-90), 209 after one hour (needed under 180), 166 after two hours (needed to be under 155), and 154 after three hours (needed to be under 140).
So what does that mean? Apparently my placenta is releasing hormones that is blocking insulin from breaking down sugar in my blood. Lovely. I had to meet with a weight management dietician (no joke-- I weigh all of 115lbs currently) and diabetic specialist last week before our trip to Florida. For three hours! It got real, real fast! I also have to take my blood on average at least 4 times a day-- when I wake up and 2 hrs after each meal. As of now I do not need special medication or insulin shots thank God.
It was definitely a true test of my faith. I know it's not as serious as what others are going thru (death of loved ones, children, parents, cancer) but it shook me to my core I'm not going to lie. I cried like a baby for about 48 hrs straight. My parents jumped in the car (of course) and RJ was awesome. I'm ok now. I just needed a good cry (or 3,000 ha!).
Complications that I am risk for now are preterm labor, preeclampsia, high blood pressure (which I had at my last visit after I found out), and delivering a baby with low blood sugar. If the baby has low blood sugar than she can have a seizure, go into a coma or have respiratory problems. Also, studies show I am now at a 40-60% greater chance of getting type 2 diabetes sometime in my lifetime (scary!). The good news is my dr said if I maintain a healthy weight, exercise and eat well (the key to fighting it) then my chances go down to 25% bc I wasn't obese to start with.
Keep us in your prayers please. I know Gods in control and he will protect my sweet baby girl. What a pregnancy this has been! Morning sickness until 24 Wks and now this. We will get threw it but to say I'm not looking forward to pricking my finger all day is an understatement. The second time I did it I had to prick it 7 times before I got enough blood :( anyway, it will all be worth it holding my sweet girl with my other two angels. That's what I keep focusing on :) thanks for the prayers!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment