Family

Family

Campbell

Campbell

Connor

Connor

Collins

Collins

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Poison Control

Yep. You read right. Poison Control. I didn't know if I would post this or not. We didn't tell anyone hardly but I want everything on here good and bad. I'm a very open person if you haven't been able to tell already. So this is how it went down.... It was Dec. 31st and RJ, Campbell and I were getting ready to go to the Galleria to shop and eat. RJ accidently spilt cold coffee on Campbell's ivory tights so I picked her up and took her into her room to change her clothes. I laid her down on the changing pad, took off her tights, reached for a diaper and before I could even close her diaper I smelt cherry. Yep. I immediately knew the smell and what it was-- Liquid Infant Cherry Ibprohen. I know what you're thinking... Go ahead and say it... I said the same thing! How did she get a hold of liquid medicine? Why weren't we watching her? and how did she open the "child proof" lid?

It all happened in a matter of seconds. The maid came the day before and for some unexplainable reason the bottle (which only had less than 1/4 of the medicine left) was hidden between the changing pad and dresser. Of course, Nosey Nelly found it and it has "bottoms up" from there! To be exact she had her skinny little long tongue licking the inside of the bottle when I started to smell cherry and snatched it out of her hands. She was not happy either. She wanted it back.

Now, I am normally a very calm and reliable person when it comes to panic situations. Not this go around. I started screaming for RJ. Screaming! Of course I scared Campbell by doing this (I'm such wonderful Mother!). We immediately gave her a bottle and food. We had no clue what to do! I called my mom-- no answer. I called Laura-- no answer. I called Jen-- no answer. So I called Jen's house and Michael (her husband/OBGYN-- no her OBGYN but A OBGYN) answered. He told me Jen was gone and I began to hang up and he asked if I was okay. I LOST it! I told him what happened and he calmly asked me how much she took and told me to call the Poison Control. Why didn't I think of that?!? Poor Campbell. I know she wants to trade me in for another mother sometimes. We called PC and they said because it was infant Ibprohen and because she weighs 17.4 oz she would have needed to ingest the whole bottle plus 3/4 of another. Whew! What a relief that she was poisoned. Of course after they told me the good news they proceeded to ask for my name, my daughter's name, our spelling, age, my address, my life handed over on a silver platter... etc. I'm sure I'm on their black list somewhere under "unreliable mothers".

To give an update she was totally fine the rest of the day. Didn't miss a beat. I had known how much liquid was in the bottle and I knew it was only a very small amount left. Still, there is no excuses. You really have to be watching it all seconds. Lesson learned. I hope this post allows other mom's to "skip" this nightmare of a chapter with their little ones.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I actually had a Facebook friend advise everyone to put the number for Poison Control in their cell phone, so I now have that on hand and won't have to frantically search for it in a moment of need.

    Don't bear yourself up about this one. It could happen to anyone. William was choking on something the other day. Mikey jumped up, and I froze. Not the best helper. William took care of it on his own, thank goodness.

    As a side note, I read somewhere that they make those bottles so small because it would be hard for a child to overdose on just one. Don't know if it's true, but sounds like a good theory to me.

    ReplyDelete