Family

Family

Campbell

Campbell

Connor

Connor

Collins

Collins

Friday, May 7, 2010

Sugar coated??

Are you thinking this post is about some wonderful and delicious, mouthwatering dessert? Well, sorry-- it's not. We all have those "over the top" days, right? So far, I've really only blogged about how blissfully wonderful motherhood is.  Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely wonderful.  Better than I could have ever imagined. I really have never been so happy! You know the happiness I'm talking about, right? That "it's too good to be true happiness?"  Well, Tuesday brought me back down to reality. LOL 

Like I posted earlier this week, RJ left for Spain on Tuesday morning. The day started off a little rocky with RJ waking Campbell up at 5am-- I'm not use to those early hour feedings anymore.  Then we had our baby shower until noon.  Anyway, what you don't know is I woke up that morning with a blocked milk duct (oh, the joys of breastfeeding!).  I finally decided to call the doctor around 12:30 and the nurse said he would want to see me immediately to make sure it wasn't infected.  Great, I thought! I don't have time to be going to the doctor all the way in the med center-- I have some much to do today!

I got Amber to keep Campbell and I headed out.  Sure enough, I waited for 2 hours to see Dr. Irwin-- I just sat in the tiny little room all by myself, waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting. Finally he came in and was charming as always.  No infection but I did have a swollen gland (very very painful) and unfortunately there is nothing he could give me. Great, I thought.  All this for nothing. I hopped in the car and realized I just wasted $7 on med center parking. Oh well. I couldn't worry about it because my boobs hurt too bad and I needed to be home 2 hours ago to relieve them!

As I turn onto Fannin I realize the traffic isn't moving--OTC (Offshore Technology Conference) at Reliant.  40 minutes later I get to 610 and there's not only 1 but 2 wrecks right around the time of rush hour. On top of everything, my cell phone didn't have any service. Ugh!  Here I am in the middle of the 4th largest city in the United States and I don't have one bar. How is this possible?!?! It's AT&T for crying out loud.  I sooo needed to talk to Amber also to make sure Campbell was okay. 

Long story short I finally got home around 4:30pm to find Amber waiting at the back door with Campbell.  Campbell was screaming bloody murder! Don't worry she wasn't hurt or anything. Amber had just started feeding her the bottle when I pulled up and she started crying.  Apparently something I ate passed through to her and hurt her tummy.  She screamed, and screamed and screamed (notice I didn't say cry-- I said screamed!).  Almost 4 hours of screaming. I'm not joking. It was horrible.  Amber had to leave the house for a little while to regain her sanity.

Did anyone watch Private Practice a couple of weeks ago when Addison was keeping Lucas and he was sick and screaming and nothing worked so she finally just got in the bathtub with him and held him? Well, that's what I did.  Campbell was crying and I was crying and it was all taking place in the bathtub... haha We both had had an exhausting and painful day. Finally she stopped crying and started splashing around.  She really does love her baths especially when she takes one in the big bath tub. Needless to say we stayed in the bathtub for at least an hour... LOL (Whatever works, right??) After that Campbell was fine and feel fast alseep.

Mommy on the other hand was still in pain and could use a very large glass of wine (or something stronger) after this neverending day.  I woke up the next morning (Wednesday) and this time I DO have a Mastitus-- in BOTH breast. Luckily, the doctor called me in an antibotic.  You know what though? I wasn't going to let this define yet another day.  As bad as I hurt, I can't help but to smile when I see that sweet sweet little face looking up at me giggling every morning.  I love her so much.  All I can say is.... the things mothers go through!!!

Guess what my next post will be about..... secrets to stopping breast feeding.  No joke.  I need all the help I can get. Suggestions? Advice? All is welcome.  I'm pretty sure Tuesday was the icing on the cake so to speak.

2 comments:

  1. oh the joys of mother hood...OK, when I learned that Hunter's severe colic was from my breast feeding at 3.5 months, I dried those puppies up real quick and switched to sensitive formula. So here is what I did...be prepared to not go anywhere for a couple days because you will smell! But green cabbage leaves on your breasts...wear it inside the bra and they dry up. They will wilt every few hours so you put on a new set. :-) Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing! I can't believe you got mastitis after all that. Ouch!

    We weaned verrrrrry slowly (over several months when he was nursing a lot less anyway), so I am no help with that.

    I'm sure you will figure it out! I found kellymom.com to be a great breastfeeding resource. They do have a section on weaning.

    ReplyDelete